Sunday, July 13, 2014

My First Experience with Chiropractic

 This pregnancy has been the polar opposite of my first.  Overall, that is a positive thing except for one issue.  Throughout pregnancy, I have been having recurrent UTIs.  I'm up to number 5 so far, despite being on a daily antibiotic as well as taking almost every other preventive measure I could find on google.  Other than being extremely frustrating, they haven't caused any major problems (ok, except for one night spent in the emergency room with horrible back pain and frequent Braxton Hicks contractions)...but there was one measure that I had been afraid to try.  Chiropractic care.
 I wasn't sure how I felt about someone moving "subluxations" in my spine, twisting my neck...an online search will prove that chiropractic care can be somewhat controversial.  However, my frustration reached a level where I was willing to try ANYTHING.  I found a local chiropractor, Dr. Alisha Davis, who has special training in working with pregnant women.  I also knew from my Ob/Gyn that chiropractic care is considered safe in pregnancy.  When calling her office I discovered that since chiropractors are considered to be the "first point of care" my insurance would cover appointments.  This put my husband on board.

I was equal parts nervous and excited about my first appointment.  It started out like any other appointment--filling out forms, a vitals check, and going over my issues with the doctor.   I had a chance to ask questions--I appreciated Dr. Davis's honesty in her responses.  She told me that since UTIs are bacterial, she couldn't promise that I would experience relief.  However, she said that some people do experience a decrease in symptoms when their bodies are properly aligned, allowing them to heal from the inside out.
Next, she assessed me for range of motion and pain and the like.  Dr. Davis is a Gonstead chiropractor, which means she normally uses x-rays when assessing a patient, but that was obviously out of the question.  She did use a tool called a Nervoscope, which made me feel like I was at Hogwarts being seen by Madam Pomfrey.  Finally came the adjustments--she adjusted my hips, 2 places on my back, my neck, and used the Webster Technique on my round ligaments.
 So, what were the results?
Oh my goodness, I am in love!  I didn't think I was in that much pain before!  I had no idea how uncomfortable I really was until I felt "normal" again!  My body "waddled" into her office and it "walked" out.  There was also a dramatic difference in my lower ab/round ligament pain, which I noticed immediately.  My neck has always "naturally" gone to the left when I lay down...now it feels just as comfortable to move it to the right.  It sounds so minor, but I feel amazing!  My FAVORITE difference is the decrease in Braxton Hicks contractions.  Seriously, I had so many...I was always wondering if they warranted a call to the doctor.  Now I still get them, but only a few a day.
 The plan is to start out going twice a week and then decrease appointments as my body heals and holds the adjustments longer.  After only one appointment, I would recommend chiropractic care to anyone, especially pregnant women, experiencing aches and pains.  It is definitely worth it!

5 comments:

  1. I agree. Going to a chiropractor is definitely worth it! It lets your body heal on its own, without the help of surgical procedures. You can immediately tell you had a good session when you suddenly feel much more comfortable and relaxed. So, how were the succeeding sessions? Keep us updated!

    Jackie Johnston @ New Life Chiropractic

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a wonderful experience with your chiropractor. Not bad for your first time, right? It’s probably because the chiropractor you made an appointment with was very efficient. She certainly knew what adjustments you needed, and how she would do it properly. Cheers!

    Derek Sparks @ Forgey Chiropractic

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s nice to know that you find chiropractic therapy effective and satisfying. I hope that continued adjustments will help improve your wellness in some ways. Thanks for sharing your experience! Take care always!


    Ramona Walters @ OMNI Health and Rehab Clinic

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a good experience! Chiropractic is one one of those touchy services that either goes swimmingly well or terrible. I know the chiropractor's experience and training have a lot to do with that, and it looks like you found someone who knows their stuff! Thanks for sharing. http://fishcreekchiropractic.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it. Here

    ReplyDelete