Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Five Favorites: Libro Edition

Hello, Five Favoriters!  I've done rooms, I've done clothes/beauty products, I've done random...and now I'm doing books!  Because occasionally we read something other than the internets around here.

Let me tell you how Max was born:  a scheduled c-section.  It was pretty awesome.  The nurses at Rex took such good care of me.  I want to have 10 kids so I get to be at Spa Rex 10 times. Nevertheless, I've been loving this book:

Uno
Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin























It's a collection of birth stories that took place on The Farm (a hippie commune) in Tennessee in the 1970s/80s.  She calls contractions "rushes," as in "what a rush."  The women in labor get high off the energy between themselves and their midwives.  There is frequent use of the word "psychedelic."  But I think my favorite phrase was, "helping your wife give birth is where it's at." File that under things Andres Frowow would never, ever say.  It peaked (piqued?  I could google it, but i won't) my interest enough to read this book:

Dos

The first part is similar collection of far-out, hippie birth stories.  The second half is about the nitty gritty of labor.  The last section of the second half has me terrified of getting pregnant again and having a repeat c-section.  But not terrified enough to attempt a vbac.  To be fair, I don't think that fear was Ina May's intention, but can I just say that medical intervention is the bees knees when it comes to childbirth?  Max was transverse, and that would have equaled a dead Heather and a dead Max had I been born on the wrong page of history, so I have some serious c-section love.

Tres
I cannot say enough good things about this book.  It is absolutely Max's favorite.  We read it every night and it's the only book he will specifically ask me to read.  It rhymes and I think that's part of the reason why Max enjoys it so much--the rhythm and the "music" of the stanzas.  It also has animals and teaches their sounds, and my little Maxo is definitely a lover of animals.  (How he came by that is anyone's guess--I certainly didn't teach him to love our four legged friends).  However, what really makes this book stand out is that it actually includes all major story elements.  Setting, characters, problem, solution, author's message, and the strong opportunity to make a personal connection--they are all in the text!  And not only are there characters (duh), but there is character development.  Max and I discuss all these elements and he totally gets it. wink.

Cuatro
Little Blue Truck Leads the Way is the Little Blue Truck companion book!  Reread the above favorite because all those sentences apply to this book too.

Cinco
This book is loooooong.  And sometimes very slow moving.  However, once I was at an interesting part, I just could not put it down.  I think Kristin is such a strong female character, especially compared to Bella Swan and female lead in 50 Shades, but I haven't read that garbage, so I wouldn't know for sure.  This story follows Kristin Lavransdatter through her life in medieval Norway from the age of 7 until her death (of the Bubonic Plague!)  I love a good Bubonic Plague story.  Throughout her life, she makes some questionable choices and has to deal with realistic consequences to her actions.  It definitely was not an "I'm in love and everything is great because I'm with you and we're going to live happily ever after" story.   Kristin Lavransdatter is multi-faceted unlike the girl from Twilight who goes from obsessed with Edward to obsessed with Edward and then is obsessed with Edward.  Anyways, I think you should read it.  Scan the boring parts and find an interesting one because the interesting ones are really, really good.  

Wow.  I should write reviews for publishing companies, no?  Imagine these on the back of books:
"This story ends with the Bubonic Plague  Plus also, I like all the Norwegian names.  If you like the Middle Ages, Norway, and the Plague you should read this book."--Heather Frowow, on Kristin Lavransdatter

"This book rhymes."--Heather Frowow, on Little Blue Truck and Little Blue Truck Leads the Way

"I don't want to give birth without drugs, but you should and you should read Ina May's books to help you do it."--Heather Frowow, on Spiritual Midwifery and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

I feel I could make some money there.

And more five favorites are there.

1 comment: