Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tell me you remember this...

This conversation takes place nearly every day in our household:
Heather:  Who sings this song?  I don't like it.  It's angry music.
Andres:  Guess.
Heather:  GNR?  Nine Inch Nails?  Metallica?  Led Zeppelin?  Coldplay?
Andres:  Are you serious?  Are you freaking serious?  How can you guess Metallica and Coldplay for the same song?  Are you serious right now?  
Heather:  I don't know.  I never listened to angry music growing up.
Andres:  What musicians do you even know?
Heather:  Charles Wesley.  Twila Paris.  Sandi Patty.

Someone please tell me I'm not alone.  Charles Wesley composed some pretty solid stuff.  Twila Paris, who can forget the song "How Beautiful."  And the whole point of this post is Sandi Patty.  Continue reading, dears...

If you asked Andres to describe me, he would say..., well, probably he'd first say, "What do you mean?  Describe, like how?  Why are you asking me this?  Are you trying to analyze our relationship with an online quiz?  I don't know how to describe you, you're just you." But THEN, he would say, "She's so out of it."  It sounds mean, but I AM totally out of it.  What he means is that all pop culture references are lost on me.

The Goonies?  Never seen it.  (It is a movie, right?)
ET?  Uhhhh...I think maybe?  Wait, Drew Barrymore was in that movie?  Seriously?  
Led Zeppelin?  Um, what kind of parents name their child "Led?"
Wait...Kurt Cobain is dead?

You think I'm lying, but I every word in italics is a direct quote from my mouth.  

In my attempt to include more than four examples of my out-of-it-ness, I just asked Andres, "Name a pop culture reference that's lost on me."  "I don't know...everything?"  Greater truth was never spoken.

Anyways, my friend Sylvester is in Rome.  She put a picture of herself next to the Trevi fountain on facebook.  I believe the Trevi fountain is one of those places where you are supposed to either:
a.  make a wish
b.  sing a song
c.  bathe

The answers is probably a, BUT that is a very ordinary fountain activity for a significant waterous location such as Trevi.  So, I changed it in my head to b, sing a song.  And what better song to sing for Sylvester via facebook comment than, "From Leningrad to Lexington, the farmer loves his land.  And daddies all get misty eyed, to give their daughters' haaaaaaand..."
I chose that song due to it's mention of Leningrad, of course.

Well, shock of shockers, Sylvester was UNFAMILIAR with the song.  I'm still reeling.  Please, someone tell me you remember this:



Sandi Patty, my friends.  The great, incomparable Sandi Patty.  How did Sylvester miss this song?  I have memories of the youth group performing dramatic, rigorous sign language to this song every Sunday for two months straight.

Sylvester could not finish viewing the above video (for some reason she got weirded out and found it terrifying), but please, watch Sandi Patty perform the song to the very end.  This video is full of gems, such as:

  • Sandi Patty herself doing dramatic, rigorous sign langauge
  • sentimental chest taps
  • sweeping arm motions
  • discombobulated swaying movements
  • a creepy collection of either back up singers or insubstantial silent observers
  • worshipers doing the half-arm raise, despite the fact that the song does not directly mention or praise God
Feel free to add your own gem in a comment below, as well as, please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers all the lyrics to this song.

I will close with a personal story about Sandi Patty's Love In Any Language:
Andres told me he loved me for the first time at a Monet exhibit.  He told me in French.  As my French vocabulary is limited to the words croissant, brie, and champagne, I really had know idea what he said.  But, I kept thinking, "Je'taime...where have I heard that before?"  Then it hit me--at the beginning of this song!  He just told me he loved me!  In French!  At a Monet exhibit! And I never would have realized it if not for Sandi Patty!

Thank the Lord for this great song!  And really, guys...seriously, why on earth did Led Zeppelin's parents name him "Led?"

No comments:

Post a Comment