Thursday, September 26, 2013

Yesterday tried to kill me.

But it didn't.  Here is the rundown in bullet form.

  • woke Max up early 
  • out the door at 7 for a doctor's appointment
  • refused a morning nap
  • threw objects at people and furniture during playdate
  • hit mommy during playdate
  • hit other child during playdate
  • time out at least 5 times during the playdate
  • mommy got a call about health insurance during playdate
  • they lost the form I faxed in, stating that I no longer have coverage under my own plan
  • must find the form and fax it again
  • sent me a "sizable bill," but said to ignore it until they lose receive the form again
  • doesn't that affect my credit rating?  i'm annoyed.
  • refused to fall asleep in a timely manner for an afternoon nap
  • went to speech after only 15 minutes of sleep
  • had to go to Harris Teeter at 5 pm to buy milk
  • Max refused to sit in the cart and ran all over the store
  • was not even placated with the free sugar cookies
  • finally wrangled him into the cart as his screams filled the produce section
  • forgot to buy bread
  • did the entire night routine by myself
  • Andres didn't arrive home until late
  • couldn't fall asleep at night until 2 am
But here's the thing:  I feel so lucky to be a stay at home mom.  I get to watch Max have fun on playdates.  If he hits and throws, I get to see it and discipline him instead of him being at daycare where he may never learn his lesson.  He gets to attend speech therapy with me so I know how to work with him and have a clear picture of his abilities.  I can't tell you how many times the doctor would ask me questions about his development while I was working and I had to admit, "I only see him awake about 2 hours a day...so I don't really know."  The health coverage I receive under Andres's plan is a zillion times better than the state plan.  I got to go to Harris Teeter to grocery shop before 8 pm, which never happened when I was working.  And, who cares if I didn't sleep well?  I get to sit around the house and play with Max all day if I want. There is nothing terribly pressing on the agenda, unless you count a trip to Target, and a trip to the Motherland is always delightful.

So, my bad day wasn't really all that bad in light of my current situation.  It was hard at the time and wrangling Max into a car seat is no fun and takes a long time, but who cares?  Only those near enough to smell me, because is it just me or do other stay at home moms also sweat a lot due to chasing their children?  I call it Eau de Sahm.  I'm always wearing it.

Anyways.  What I'm trying to say is I've been a working mom and a SAHM, and both scenarios are really hard, but they also have good things to.  Each one of them will try to kill you.  But it won't.


No comments:

Post a Comment