Thursday, August 1, 2013

Polish Madonna


Did you know there is a whole Catholic mommy blogger culture on the internets?  Well, there is. I guess it's not really a culture, it's moms who blog who happen to be Catholic, just like all the Mormon Mommy Bloggers out there.

That right there was my weird introduction to this painting, which I'm sort of in love with.  I found it via one of the Catholic mommy blogs I peruse.  I would link it here, because I like the blog, but I think it's polite to ask permission for that sort of thing and I'm lazy so I won't.

When I told Andres I wanted the painting, he said "Why?  What brought this on?"  Can't a girl just like a painting?  Nothing really brought it ON, per say, just...

Since becoming a SAHM, I've had more time to think (sort of) and I've been thinking about Mary.  About how all we have is a snapshot of Jesus being born, a snapshot of him at 12, and then BAM he's a grown-up.  But in the middle of all that, was a little boy who ran around naked, who needed his diapers washed, who got muddy, enjoyed being bounced on his mother's knee, who needed breakfast, lunch, and dinner prepared for him every day.  And there was Mary, taking care of the Savior's basic needs.  That is incredible to me.  Mary nursed the bread of life.  
That's why I've been thinking about Mary.  Do you arrive home from the market with several bags and cranky child and think 'ok, here we go' and heave a great sigh before starting to unload your bags and kid?  Mary did too.  Do you struggle to cook dinner each night with a fussy child around your legs, just wanting to be held?  Mary did too.  Do you lose your patience and yell 'what the heck do you want?' when your nonverbal offspring is whining and pointing and you've offered everything under the sun to appease him?  Mary did too.  Do you just want to be able to use the restroom with the door closed?  Mary did to.  Do you feel like you're doing your best, but secretly pray that you're not screwing your kids up?  Mary did too.  Are you aching for a girl's night, and when it happens do you contemplate maybe not returning home and checking into a hotel somewhere?  Mary did too.*

And God knew all of this and still chose her.  God knew that Mary would struggle with the challenges and mundane tasks of parenting.  God knew that Mary would sometimes lose her patience with Jesus and the rest of her children, and he chose her anyway.**

That's why this image speaks to me.  Mary spent her life doing the ordinary mom things for God, and some days it was a struggle and she wanted to cry and pull her hair out.  And it gives me inspiration and faith to do all my ordinary mom things for God, too.


I'm going to hang it on the wall next to my laundry room.  Seems fitting, right?

*This is my personal speculation.  I mean, upon hearing she was pregnant Mary went to Elizabeth's for a girl's night that lasted for several months.  That leads me to believe that Mary was big into girl time. ;)

**Again, this is my personal speculation.  I know there are a variety of beliefs about Mary in the Church, including that she was born without original sin, her perpetual virginity, and I've even heard that some believe that Jesus did not even pass through her birth canal.  I know, right?!?  This is based on my personal beliefs that Mary was a sinner who needed her Son to save her, just as much as anyone else, and that Mary and Joseph had children together.

No comments:

Post a Comment