Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Kids in Mass

People were also bringing babies to Jesus to have him touch them.  When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them.  But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.  I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.~~Luke 18:15-17

Let's talk about kids in mass.  Before I start, let me tell you my background.  I was raised in the Baptist church and children didn't start attending the main service until about age 5.  Babies thru preschool attended what was called "extended session," which is an extension of Sunday school.  As a result, if I were to bring Max into the service at my parents' church, every little noise would sound like a hurricane in the midst of such quiet.  So, we send him to extended session when we visit.  I don't think there is anything wrong with this, as it is just the culture of the church.  Catholic masses are exactly the opposite.  There is no "extended session" which lasts the duration of the service, thus if you are a human, your body is in the mass.  All those childrens results in a pleasant "hum" which masks outbursts of noise, for the most part.  I happen to LOVE having Max with us in mass.  I love that most people look back and smile at us when he makes noise.  I love that one time when Andres took him out of church, a man sitting close by said to me, "You didn't need to take him out.  He belongs here."  I love that when Max claps and loudly shouts "Yay!" after the choir sings, the music minister walks over to us and says, "That's so awesome!"  However, not everyone enjoys all the chitlins.  I have been present many times when a friend/acquaintance will say something to the effect of "I can't concentrate in mass because of the children."  This statement almost exclusively comes from those without children.  So, my first point is this:
1.  Your day is coming and you will eat your words.  I know because I was once among you.
But, wait!  I have more points!  MORE!  YAYYYYY!
Here is a purely practical point:
2.  If you attend a Catholic mass, you pretty much know what you are getting into, thus you cannot complain.  You know that there is no Sunday School and that as a result, families worship together.  If you seriously can't enjoy church because of noisy children, I suggest attending mass on a weekday or switching denominations.  Complaining about kids in mass is like complaining that McDonalds sells french fries:  you know what you are getting into.  So close your hole.  
 Ack!  This pic is probably so wrong.  But, what are the chances of talking about fries and Catholicism and then finding this image?  I had to use.

Now, let's talk about the Bible verses I posted above.  To recap, Luke 18 narrates a scene where mothers are bringing their babies and children to Jesus.  If you are like me, you imagine that scene talking place in an idyllic countryside with quiet, peaceful children to match the surroundings.  But, really think here.  Babies and children.  Lots of them.  And the disciples rebuked the mothers.  Why?  Because of germs?  NO!  Because the whole scene was probably utter chaos.  And what does Jesus do?  Does he say, "quiet down, one at a time, let's form a single file line?"  No.  He says that the kingdom of Heaven belongs to the little children.  Then, he presses the envelope further by saying that if we hinder a child, we ourselves will never enter the kingdom of Heaven.  Now, do I think that means that it's ok to let a child run screaming up and down the aisles at Mass?  Of course not.  But I do think this:
3.  If my ability to experience Christ in the Mass is hindered by a little child, I need to examine my heart, rather than mentally chastise the parent.  If my desire is to experience Christ in complete silence, then I should question my ability to experience Christ in my daily life.  Because daily life isn't quiet.  I need to cultivate a spirit which allows Christ to speak through the noise, messiness, and imperfections of daily living, which includes the hour at mass when I'm sitting behind a babbling, squirmy child. So rather than allow my thoughts to turn to annoyance, I should turn my thoughts into a prayer, asking God to help me experience him and be aware of his presence in the noisy, messy aspects of my life.  Maybe I could even make that my "intention" for the Mass.  Just a suggestion.  
Plus also, check out these verses:
I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.~~Luke 15:7
Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing...~~Revelation 5:13a
Then I heard what sounded like the roar of a great multitude in heaven shouting...~~Revelation 19:1a
So, my fourth and final point is this:
4.  Think mass is noisy?  Heaven will be noisier.  So you might as well get used to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment