Friday, October 4, 2013

Summer Birthdays

Both Andres and I have summer birthdays, so when my parents visited in July they took us out for a combined birthday dinner.  Check out this pic of our fam:

This is noteworthy because I straightened my hair.  This hardly ever happens.  My hair usually looks like this:
only I'm not a cat, I'm a person.  Several people have been very nice to me about my locks.  For example, Janice Barr once called my hair "versatile" and according to one of the blogs I read, my hair is "beachy."  (The author didn't refer to MY hair as beachy, she said HER hair was beachy.  I'm adopting the term).  Whatever you call it, it needs to be straightened to be straight, and even then it's a crapshoot.  For another example, one time one of my students wrote me a very moving love letter which included the line, "My beautiful teacher has blondish-brownish hair that curls under in the front and flips out in the back."  It gave me the sadz.  And the insecurities.  When a seven year old notices your hair issues, you've got some probz.  I have tried to get my hair to either flip under all around or flip out all around, but curling under in the front and flipping out in the back is it's natural hair move.  So, just do me a favor and scroll back up to look at my hair and then leave a comment that says, "Wow, Heather, you've got amazing hair.  I wish it was on my head."  Thanks.

Anyways, after debating and vetoing our usual Panera/Brixx/Is there anywhere in Brier Creek we haven't gone yet options, we decided on a trip to the American Tobacco Campus for Max to see the agua.

Our intention of going to this part of Durham was twofold.  As I already mentioned, there is 1. agua.  There is also a Tyler's Taproom, which means there are 2.  Pickle chips.  God Bless The Pickle Chip.  However, shortly after taking the above photo, Andres said, "Hey, what about the Cuban place?"  And I was like, "OMG, they have FRIED GREEN BEANS!"  RDU People.  I am honestly not a huge fan of most of the menu items at Cuban Revolution...I find it just ok, blah, blah, blah.  (If you want for realz food from a Spanish-speaking country, try Mami Nora's.  Right this minute).  However, one thing Cuban Revolution does exceeding well is the fried green bean.  Go.  Eat.  Enjoy.  Oink.

 So, we began our walk down the Aguaway to Cuban Revolution.  Two things of note happened during our journey:
1.  We saw an Indian couple taking either wedding or engagement photos.  The girl was wearing a gorgeous sari and the guy was in a tux.  For his sake, I hope it was his actual wedding day, because what guy wants to dress up in a tux for a random photo shoot? If it was, in fact, their wedding day, we did not see the accompanying Wedding Day Elephant.  Frownz.

2.  We saw a girl wearing hi-lo dress.  Never will I ever.
 

Once seated at our destination, I ordered fried green beans that cost as much as a gallon of milk, and a small cup of milk for Max, which also costs (cost?  costed?) as much as a gallon of milk.

 Check out those lips.  I cannot handle it.


We had to wait a long time for our food to arrive, so Max took the opportunity to make some important calls.
Eventually, Andres took him outside where Max saw a "Neh."  Neh means all animals, but in this case the Neh was a dog.  Now, I have some beef with dog owners who see my child squeal, smile, and point but don't take the time to say hello.  Especially if you are a next-door or across the street neighbor and we haven't even met yet.  However, this Neh owner exceeded my expectations and allowed Max to pet the Neh, even though she was eating dinner with her boyfriend.  What a class act.  I don't have pictures of the event because, as I said, Andres was the one who took Max outside.  I was busy inside with the fried green beans.  I don't have a picture of them either, for the obvious reason that I was too busy putting them in my belly.  Oink.

Happy Birthday to us.  Go eat fried green beans.  Just don't wear a hi-lo dress while you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment